Betsy Ennis Dulin
Richmond, VA 23230
Betsy Dulin practices law in the area of construction, public contracts, design liability and environmental law, advising and representing clients on transactions, contracts, claims and disputes associated with development of large-scale projects, including environmental management, regulatory compliance and joint ventures, financing, intellectual property development and technology transfer.
Betsy holds Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees in civil engineering and environmental engineering and is a registered professional engineer in Virginia and West Virginia. She practiced engineering full time, concentrating on planning, design and construction management of large public infrastructure projects, with CDM (now CDM Smith) in northern Virginia and Woolpert. After attending law school at Washington & Lee University, she continued her focus on large-scale manufacturing and infrastructure projects by practicing in the public finance and environmental practice groups at Squire Sanders (now Squire Patton Boggs) and Bowles Rice.
She was later selected as the founding engineering chair, and later dean, of the College of Information Technology and Engineering at Marshall University, where she regularly advised and represented the large public university on a variety of legal matters, including regulatory compliance and permitting, government relations, contracting, facilities planning and construction (including third-party, turn-key projects), intellectual property development and dispute resolution.
Betsy has extensive experience in providing courses and training to engineers, contractors, government agencies, and other technical and management professionals and is a member of CSI, SAME, ASCE, NSPE, and the Construction Law & Public Contracts section of the Virginia State Bar.
• Registered Professional Engineer, Virginia and West Virginia
• Registered Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office
• Chair, West Virginia Consortium on Undergraduate Engineering and Research
• Co-Chair, Governor’s Task Force on Mountaintop Mining (West Virginia)
• Academy of Distinguished Alumni, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
• Member, West Virginia Environmental Quality Board, 1997-2002
• Adjunct faculty member, Virginia Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech (Civil Engineering and Construction Law)
- Virginia Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Ohio
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- “Boot Camp for Construction Documents Technologist Exam,” CSI/Richmond, Instructor, February, 2017
- “Introduction to Patent Law,” preparing for Half Moon Education, January 11, 2017, Richmond, Virginia.
- “Managing Risk in Design-Build and P3 Contexts: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives and the Increasing Complexity of High-Stakes Water Utility Projects, abstract submitted for Annual Conference & Exposition, American Water Works Association, June 12-14, 2017, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- “A Rock and a Hard Place: The Engineer’s Role and Responsibilities in Design-Build Projects,” preparing for submission to ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice,2016/2017.
- “Current Trends in Engineering Education, Accreditation and Licensure,” Virginia Engineers Conference, September 29-30, 2016, Portsmouth, Virginia (with Sam Easterling, Ph.D., P.E.).
- “Legal Aspects of the Rules of Professional Conduct,” Virginia Engineers Conference, September 29-30, 2016, Portsmouth, Virginia (with Carrie Langelotti, P.E.).
- “Managing Documents and Communications in the Modern Age: Risk Management Implications,” keynote speaker, Pittsburgh Chapter of the Construction Specifications Institute, September 13, 2016, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- “Managing Uncertainty: Legal, Ethical, and Policy Implications of Using New Products, Advanced Systems, and Innovative Design Technologies,” Annual Meeting, Southeastern Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, August 29-31, 2016, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia.
- Use of Innovative Technologies in Engineering Design: Legal and Ethical Implications,” Future of Engineering Conference, Virginia Society of Professional Engineers, June 21, 2016, Richmond, Virginia.
- “Legal Issues for Design Professionals (construction contract administration, professional environmental regulation, and ethics),” Half Moon Education, May 5, 2016, Roanoke, Virginia.
- "Navigating the Legal Complexities of Professional Responsibilities," Society of American Military Engineers, Hampton Roads Post, Virginia Beach, Virginia, January 2016.
- "Legal Aspects of Civil Engineering," on-line graduate course for Virginia Tech, scheduled for summer session, 2016.
- "Construction Contracts Workshop", prepared for employees of Stafford County, Virginia, through Half Moon seminars, Stafford/Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 16, 2015 - Present
- "Controlling Risk through Information Management", presentation for Construction Specifications Institute, Richmond Chapter, November 18, 2015 - Present
- "Document Retention and Management Issues for Engineers and Contractors," Society of Design Administration, Norfolk, Virginia, 2015 - Present
- "The Engineer as Employee: Potential Conflicts", West Virginia Construction Expo, 2014 - Present
- "Aging Infrastructure and Water Policy: The Perfect Storm," ASCE/ACEC/WVSPE Engineer's Week presentations, various locations, 2014 - Present
- "Reconciling the Engineer's Responsibilities to Clients, Employers, and the Public", ASCE/SAME Winter Technical Conference, Huntington, West Virginia, 2014 - Present
- "Property and Eminent Domain Issues", West Virginia Department of Transportation all-day workshop, West Virginia, 2014 - Present
- "Construction Contracts", West Virginia Department of Transportation short course, West Virginia, 2013 - Present
- "The Engineer's Role in Design and Construction," West Virginia Department of Transportation Annual Preconstruction/Engineering Conference, Innovations and Answers", Morgantown, West Virginia, 2012 - Present
- "Political Challenges in Engineering Education", American Council of Engineering Companies and WV Society of Professional Engineers, Engineers Week keynote, 2012 - Present
- "Current Professional Liability Issues for Civil Engineers", Marshall University SAME/ASCE Winter Technical Conference, 2011 - Present
- "Engineering the Future: Technology Transfer Opportunities," Young President's Organization, WV Chapter Annual Meeting, 2010 - Present
- "Linking West Virginia's Centers of Research and Development Excellence," Views & Visions Magazine, 2007 - Present
- "Development of State Water Quality Standards," Graduate Seminar, Via Department of Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and state University, 2007 - Present
- "Law and Politics: How Water Policy Affects the Energy Climate in West Virginia," featured speaker, Energy Colloquium, huntington Chamber of Commerce, 2006 - Present
- "Sharpening the Focus: Legal Context of Engineering Ethics," Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2003 - Present
- Anti-degradation Implementation Policy and TMDLs: Legal Background and Implications for Public Utilities," Rural Water Association, 2003 - Present
- Numerous graduate courses in Engineering Law, Construction Law and Management, Environmental Law, Project Management, Technology Management, Environmental Engineering Design, and Civil Engineering Projects.
Honors and Awards
- Academy of Distinguished CEE Alumni, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- West Virginia Executive Magazine, "Young Gun,"
- Chapter Honor Member, Chi Epsilon, Virginia Tech
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Registered Professional Engineer, Virginia and West Virginia
- Virginia State Bar, Construction and Environmental Sections
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Society of American Military Engineers
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Construction Specifications Institute
- Program evaluator, Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology
- Water Environment Federation
- Virginia Tech, Charlest E. Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Alumni Advisory Board
- Board of Directors, West Virginia American Water Company, 2007 - 2011
- Board of Directors, Mid-Atlantic Technology, Research & Innovation Ctr. (MATRIC), 2004 - 2008
- Board of Directors, Marshall University Research Corporation, 2005 - 2011
- Board of Directors, Chemical Alliance Zone, 2000 - 2012
- PE Exam Committee Member, National Council for the Examination of Engineers and Surveyors
- American Council of Engineering Companies
- Tau Beta Pi
- Construction Law
- Construction, Public Contracts and Design Liability
- Environmental Law
- Property & Project Development
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, Virginia
- J.D. summa cum laude - 1992
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
- M.S. - 1986
- Major: Civil/Environmental Engineering
- West Virginia University Institute of Technology
- B.S. summa cum laude - 1985
- Major: Civil Engineering