The Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms. But a host of state and federal laws govern the proper use of firearms. Convictions carry penalties ranging from time in jail to harder time in prison, along with steep fines, probation, driving restrictions, house arrest and more. The laws are complex, and vary widely from state to federal jurisdictions. Gun charges at either level require a skilled firearms attorney.
At Coates & Davenport, P.C., we defend individuals charged with a host of violations:
- Carrying a weapon without a permit
- Possessing an unregistered gun
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Brandishing a firearm
- Making a false statement on a permit application
- Being a minor and possessing a firearm
- Being a felon in possession of a gun
- Intentionally/recklessly discharging a weapon
- Unlawfully using/selling a weapon
- Having a loaded firearm in a vehicle
- Illegally transporting weapons
- Having automatic firearms or assault weapons in your possession
How Many Counts Could I Be Facing?
Under Virginia law, every shot illegally fired is a separate violation; firing five shots may constitute five counts of unlawful discharge. Shooting from a vehicle or shooting at a vehicle are separate offenses as well. Firing two shots from one car at another car makes four criminal acts. Clearly, the law is complex and often unwieldy, and you will need an experienced gun laws attorney to see you through.
Our team of criminal and traffic law attorneys is a diverse group of experienced professionals:
T. Michael Blanks, Jr.
Thomas F. Coates III
Harrison Hubard, Jr.
Todd A. Knode
Tammy L. Sossei
Have you been charged with gun violations? Call the Richmond gun crime attorneys at Coates & Davenport, P.C., at 804-729-5537 or write to us using our online form.