Bruin S. Richardson, III
- Construction Law
- Construction, Public Contracts and Design Liability
- Labor & Employment Law
Bruin S. Richardson, Ill advises and represents clients in all aspects of commercial and business practice, including both commercial transactions and litigation, with an emphasis on construction, design liability, property transactions, commercial disputes, and labor/employment law. He has supported various major construction and design projects in Virginia and beyond, and was a partner with several major law firms that specialize in construction.
Bruin has a B.A. degree from Washington & Lee University, where he was a National Merit Scholar, and a J.D. degree from the University of Michigan. He has represented owners, contractors, joint ventures, design professionals, sub-contractors, professional liability insurers and bond sureties during his years of construction practice. In addition, as part of his work for major contractors and manufacturers, he developed expertise in labor and employment law as well as occupational safety and health. He also has significant experience working with insurance companies and advising their insured's and other professionals on risk management and contracting issues. He has represented national and international employers in the hotel, textile, mining, paper and related industries in union and other labor matters, including policies, benefits, evaluation and termination.
In 2002, Bruin was appointed by Virginia's Governor Jim Gilmore, and later reappointed by Governor Tim Kaine, to the State Building Code Technical Review Board, on which he served through 2008. The board hears appeals from enforcement actions under the Virginia Building Code, Fire Prevention Code, Industrialized Building Safety Regulations, Manufactured Home Safety Regulations and Virginia Certification Standards.
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- J.D. - 1989
- Washington & Lee University
- B.A. - 1986
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: • Robert E. Lee Scholarship
- Honors: • National Merit Scholarship
- Virginia Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- Member of "Legal Elite" in Labor and Employment Law, Virginia Business Magazine
- "Super Lawyer" designation in Construction Law, Law & Politics Magazine
Classes & Seminars
- "Expanding Contractual Liability for Design Professionals"
- "Independent Contractors versus Employees: Contractual and Liability Implications"
- "Drug Testing in the Private Sector"
- "Preparing Job Descriptions under the Americans with Disabilities Act"
- "The Family Medical Leave Act"
- Represented Design/Build contractor in litigation alleging design and construction defects at 300-unit college apartment complex.
- Represented EPC (engineering/procurement/construction) contractor in multi-million dollar dispute in federal court, relating to construction of a gas turbine power generation facility.
- Represented civil engineer and pavement design engineer in $12 M in state court, involving defective pavement at one of the largest port facilities on the east coast.
- Represented engineer in multi-million dollar slope failure case involving claims against geo technical engineer, civil engineers, contractor, and material testing company, associated with a Walmart facility in southwest Virginia.
- Represented architect in claims related to siting and selection of construction materials of school facility in Chesapeake Bay/marine environment area.
- Represented owner in extra compensation and delay claims filed by contractor in connection with construction of a retail facility.
- Represented EPC contractor in $12 M claim against subcontractor for defects in construction of tanks at ethanol production facility in Nebraska.
- Represented material testing company in slope failure claim related to construction of extended care facility.
- Represented numerous contractors in OSHA investigations and claims, including fatality cases.
- Represented engineers in numerous cases involving use of coal/scrubber ash as fill material in building pad construction.
- Represented A/E (architect/engineer) firm in design defect claim by contractor on design-build project involving construction of housing facility on military base.
- Represented numerous contractors and engineering firms in construction claims mediation and arbitration.
- Represented numerous landowners in Eminent Domain proceedings related to the Virginia Bio-technology Park and the Richmond Federal Courthouse
- Represented employer in ADA claim alleging HIV discrimination. Summary Judgment for employer affirmed by U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- Represented dozens of employers in Title VII, ADA and ADEA claims before the EEOC and in Federal Courts
- Represented employers in state court wrongful discharge claims
- Represented employers in wage and hour collective actions
- Represented executive employees in employment contract negotiation and negotiation of severance packages
- Represented numerous employers in union representation proceedings including those in the Hotel, Textile, Mining and Laundry industries
- Advised employers on all aspects of the employment relationship including discipline, policies, employee benefits and termination
- Represented employers in collective bargaining in bargaining units from 100 to 5,000
- Represented employers in union grievance and arbitration proceedings
- Acted as arbitrator in employment related matters
- Represented employers in FMLA claims, ERISA litigation, retiree benefits claims, union election campaigns, collective bargaining, union avoidance training, Unfair Labor Practice charges, and labor arbitrations.
- Virginia State Building Code Technical Review Board, 2002 to 2008
- Virginia State Bar , member of Construction Law and Labor/Employment Law Sections
- Richmond Bar Association