Ericka M. Battle
Ericka M. Battle is an attorney in the offices of Coates & Davenport. She practices in the areas of civil litigation, real estate, criminal law and has served as a representative to foreign governments. Prior to joining the firm, she was employed at a small firm owned by a former Virginia Commonwealth Attorney, where she handled civil litigation, criminal law, real property and contract matters.
Ericka graduated from the Douglas L. Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, with a B.A. in Political Science, and then attended Florida Coastal School of Law. While attending law school, she interned with the Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office and a consumer law clinic. She also studied international law in France. Prior to attending law school, she was a legislative aide with the Virginia General Assembly.
She is active in a variety of community and non-profit organizations in the Richmond area. She serves on the Board of Directors for Offender Aide and Restoration in Richmond. She also serves on the Junior Board for Child Home Services of Virginia.
• Junior League of Richmond, Member
• Opportunity Alliance Reentry, Board of Directors
• Children’s Home Society
Recent Case Results
CHARGES DROPPED IN CHESTERFIELD MANSION PARTY MURDER
On February 16, 2017, criminal charges against a Chesterfield man in relation to the double homicide that occurred in the Chesdin Landing neighborhood were dropped. The man's attorney, Ericka Battle, stated "my client is ready to move forward."
CHARGES DROPPED IN DINWIDDIE BREAK IN
On October 31, 2018, charges were dropped against a Dinwiddie man in a gas station theft case. Defense attorney, Ericka Battle, stated "My client has always maintained his innocence. Today was a victory for justice."
ATTEMPTED MURDER CHARGES DROPPED IN VCU SHOOTING CASE
On January, 9, 2020, attempted murder charges against a man accused of a shooting near VCU campus were dropped. His attorney, Ericka Battle, stated that her client "is relieved" that his side of the story has come to light.
ATTEMPTED MURDER CHARGES DROPPED IN HILLSIDE COURT SHOOTING
On January, 30, 2020, attempted murder charges against a man accused of a shooting near Hillside Court in Richmond, were dropped. His attorney, Ericka Battle, stated that her client "was defending his family and is relieved that the truth has come out."
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Hill-Tucker Bar Association
- National Association of Professional Women
- Virginia State Bar
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Hampton Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office, Interned
Pro Bono Activities
- Junior League of Richmond, Member
- Opportunity Alliance Reentry, Board of Directors
- Children’s Home Society
- Offender Aid and Restoration in Richmond, Board of Directors
- Junior Board for Child Home Services of Virginia
- Contract Disputes & Civil Litigation
- Criminal Defense & Traffic
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
- Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, Florida
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Pro Bono Honors
- Université d'Auvergne, Clermont-Ferrand
- Major: International Law Survey Certificate
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Political Science